Orioles acquire Cy Young Award winner Corbin Burnes in wake of sale of team – saimmalik


After 101 wins final season and a 10-figure sale, the Baltimore Orioles are nonetheless splashing.

The O’s introduced on Thursday they’ve traded for 2021 NL Cy Younger Award winner Corbin Burnes from the Milwaukee Brewers.

Burnes has been among the finest pitchers within the recreation for years. Since 2020, his 2.86 ERA is the bottom amongst pitchers with a minimum of 500 innings pitched, and his 11.1 Okay/9 is the second-best mark in baseball.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Corbin Burnes of the Milwaukee Brewers pitches within the first inning towards the Arizona Diamondbacks throughout Sport One of many Wild Card Collection at American Household Area on October 3, 2023, in Milwaukee. (John Fisher/Getty Pictures)

In these 4 seasons, Burnes has completed sixth, first, seventh and eighth within the NL Cy Younger Award race.

Burnes has been named an All-Star in every of the final three seasons.

It is an enormous increase for a rotation that was reasonably pedestrian final season: O’s starters mixed for a 4.11 ERA final season, which ranked eleventh within the majors. And Kyle Bradish stepped up massive time, decreasing his ERA from 4.90 in his rookie season in 2022 to 2.83 final season. John Means can be slated for a full season after Tommy John surgical procedure.

The Orioles received the division final 12 months on the shoulders of 2023 Rookie of the Year Gunnar Henderson and 2022 runner-up Adley Rutschman. Additionally they have baseball’s high prospect in Jackson Holliday within the wings, and he is anticipated to be the workforce’s beginning shortstop on Opening Day.

In return, the Brewers are getting shortstop prospect Joey Ortiz, left-handed reliever D.L. Corridor, and the thirty fourth decide on this 12 months’s MLB Draft.

Corbin Burnes pitches against the Reds

Milwaukee Brewers’ Corbin Burnes throws to a Reds batter through the first inning in Cincinnati, Friday, July 14, 2023. (AP Photograph/Aaron Doster)

The commerce comes two days after the information broke that John Angelos is selling the team for an estimated $1.725 billion to hedge fund house owners David Rubenstein and Mike Arougheti. Cal Ripken Jr. can be set to be part of the brand new possession group.

EX-MLB STAR RECALLS CONFRONTING METS’ FAMED ANNOUNCER AFTER NEGATIVE COVERAGE: ‘START ROOTING FOR US’

Rubenstein and Arougheti are anticipated to initially purchase 40% of the franchise earlier than buying the remaining 60% at a later date. The estimated timetable for the deal to shut stays unclear, however MLB house owners will doubtless be briefed on the pending transaction throughout subsequent week’s proprietor’s conferences. 

Angelos purchased the Orioles from enterprise capitalist Eli Jacobs for $173 million. He grew to become incapacitated lately, prompting his son, John, to take over as the first chief of the group.

Corbin Burnes hyped

Corbin Burnes of the Milwaukee Brewers reacts after recording a strikeout within the third inning towards the Arizona Diamondbacks throughout Sport 1 of the Wild Card Collection at American Household Area on October 3, 2023, in Milwaukee. (Stacy Revere/Getty Pictures)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Milwaukee additionally non-tendered Brandon Woodruff earlier this offseason, so even after profitable the NL Central by 9.0 video games in 2023, they’re turning heads with their rotation selections.

Nonetheless, they do nonetheless have Freddy Peralta and Wade Miley on the entrance of the rotation, they usually signed slugger Rhys Hoskins to a two-year deal earlier this offseason.

Fox Information’ Chantz Martin contributed to this report.

Comply with Fox Information Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *